A few years ago, a friend at church commented how she was so fed up with news sources such as CNN and how she wished there were some conservative news sources. I informed her that they do exist.
A few days later, I compiled a list of sources for her. Then I thought the list might be helpful to others. So, forget about CNN and the legacy media. Get a different perspective and read some conservative news sources. (updated and expanded on November 1, 2021)
A note on news bias. Until the Associated Press (AP) and the United Press International (UPI) came into existence in the late 1800s as services that supplied “unbiased” news articles for local papers, the idea of unbiased papers did not exist.
Since the first newspapers and newsletters were published, they all carried the bias of the publishers or authors. Thus, there is nothing wrong with bias if it is acknowledged.
What is wrong is claiming not to have a bias when the news outlet clearly has one. True journalists try to record news objectively, but personal backgrounds always shape how people see an event or issue.
- The Stream. This digital Christian news magazine offers commentary on current events, cultural issues, and Christian life articles. Some of the authors also have their own blogs or ministries. This is my web browser’s home page. if you like quirky writing, read John Zmirak.
- The Epoch Times. This periodical sent a couple of same copies to my home in 2020. We liked it so much, that we subscribed. The journalists write news the old-fashioned way–just the facts, ma’am. But they also offer in-depth opinion pieces. Many of the writers are from communist nations and speak to preserve freedom in America. For subscribers, they also have sections on life, health, and the arts.
- The Daily Citizen (replaced the print Citizen magazine by Focus on the Family). News and culture from a biblical perspective.
- The Christian Post provides news and commentary from the Christian perspective and church news.
- The Daily Wire by Ben Shapiro
- Daily Caller
- The Federalist
- Gateway Pundit
- OAN—One American News Network
- The Thinking Christian by blogger and apologist Tom Gilson. He mostly covers apologetics but touches on culture as well. He also writes for The Stream.
- PragerU.com. The five-minute videos do a fantastic job at introducing the viewer to various political and social topics topic and why it’s important to know about it.
I don’t agree with everything the presenters say, but most are right on from the conservative point of view. Google dislikes them so much that they pulled many of their videos off YouTube. But can be viewed on the website. PragerU now offers several video series and even a program for kids.
- Washington Watch by Tony Perkins of the Family Research Council. I listen to this podcast regularly. Tony speaks to senators, congresspeople, and others involved in our national government. Through this broadcast, you get the news from the horse’s mouth.
- Relationship Insights with Carrie Abbott of The Legacy Institute. This 30-minute show airs on KCIS 630 AM, but I use the phone app to listen to the podcasts. You can also go to carrieabbott.com or thelegacyinstitute.com for the archives. Broadcasting from the Seattle area, Carrie covers various cultural and political topics with a focus on biblical relationships. Most of her shows are interviews of authors or ministry leaders. I found out about The Stream through her.
- The Epoch Times. This periodical sent a couple of same copies to my home in 2020. Many of the writers are from communist nations and speak to preserve freedom in America.
- AMAC Advantage published monthly by the Association of Mature American Citizens, the conservative version of AARP.
- Imprimis, a free monthly publication by Hillsdale College. Each issue contains solid conservative articles based on speeches given at the college. Hillsdale doesn’t accept any government funds. They also offer some free, online courses (not for credit) on topics such as the Constitution.
- Sidey Powell’s Defending the Republic e-newsletter offers news about the elections, the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol, COVID, China, and more. Every Friday she shares good news stories.
Seattle-area conservative talk radio
- KVI 570 AM: One of the first conservative talk radio stations in the US.
- John Carlson from 5:00 am to 9:00 am.
- Lars Larson covers news from Vancouver, WA, where Oregon and Idaho meet with Washington. Show from noon to 3:00 pm.
- Sean Hannitty from 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm.
- KTTH 770 AM. Secular: Some of the hosts are rather snarky, but I glean some information and commentary about what is happening in politics today while driving around.
- Jason Rantz Show from 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm keeps his finger on local issues that also effect the nation. He also writes short opinion pieces on MyNorthwest.
- Ben Shapiro from 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm.
- KCIS 630 AM: Crista Ministries talk radio. This station broadcasts Carrie Abbott’s “Relationship Insights” at 12:30 pm and 6:00 pm. In addition to some quality Christian teaching, some of their shows, like Carrie’s, focus more on the news and culture such as
- “Wallbuilders Live” weekdays 3:30 pm to 4:00 pm.
- “In the Market” with Janet Parshall weekdays 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm.